Table of Contents
Importance of using guidebooks and maps
1. Helps you plan and prepare: Listen, we get it. Planning is like the anti-thesis of adventure. But trust us, having a solid guidebook or map in hand will make your life SO much easier. You’ll be able to map out the coolest spots to hit up, avoid tourist traps, and even score the best deals on food and accommodation. Plus, you won’t have to rely on some sketchy taxi driver to get you where you need to go especially after your phone dies or Google maps decides to take to you somewhere else. We have all been there and done that.
2. Saves time and money: We’re all about that budget travel life, and guidebooks are a total game-changer in that department. You’ll get the inside scoop on the cheapest ways to get around, when to visit attractions for free (hello, free museum day!), and even where to find hidden gems that won’t break the bank. Plus, you won’t have to waste time wandering aimlessly around the city, trying to find the good stuff.
3. Enhances your experience: Look, we know you’re all about that “off-the-beaten-path” life, but how are you supposed to find those epic hidden gems without a guidebook or map? By doing a little bit of research ahead of time, you’ll be able to truly immerse yourself in the local culture, history, and customs of the place you’re visiting. Plus, you’ll look like a total boss when you’re spouting off fun facts about that ancient temple everyone else is just taking selfies in front of.
4. Provides safety and security: We’re not trying to scare you, but getting lost in a foreign country is a real thing. And let’s be real, it’s not exactly the most fun experience. But fear not! By having a map in hand, you’ll be able to navigate public transportation systems like a pro, and avoid those sketchy areas that even locals steer clear of. Plus, you’ll be able to impress your new travel buddies with your impressive navigational skills.
Not knowing anything leads to FOMO
1. Missed opportunities: You know that feeling when you get home from a trip, and someone asks if you went to a certain landmark, and you’re like “Wait, what? That was there?!” Yeah, not fun. By not using a guidebook or map, you run the risk of missing out on some seriously epic experiences. And let’s be real, you’re not trying to be the boring one in your travel crew.
2. Risky situations: Look, we’re all for taking risks (hello, skydiving over the Swiss Alps!), but putting yourself in danger is a big no-no. By not knowing the geography and customs of the place you’re visiting, you could end up in some seriously sketchy situations. And let’s be real, getting mugged in a foreign country is not a fun time.
3. Time-consuming: We get it, you’re all about that spontaneous life. But by not having a plan, you’re going to waste a lot of time figuring out what to do and where to go. And let’s be real, time is a precious commodity when you’re traveling. You don’t want to spend half your trip trying to find the best local restaurant or the coolest bar. Plus, by not having a plan, you’re going to spend a lot more time in lines, waiting for attractions to open, or trying to find your way back to your hotel.
4. Language barriers: Unless you’re some kind of linguistic genius, chances are you’re going to have some trouble communicating with locals in a foreign country. By not having a guidebook or map, you’re missing out on a valuable resource for learning some basic phrases and getting around. Imagine not having to mime your way when ordering food.
Guidebooks and Maps
Buying a guidebook might seem like a boring expense, but trust us, it’s a small price to pay for a trip that will leave you with lifelong memories.
Think about it: without a guidebook, you’re like a lost puppy wandering around, trying to figure out where to go and what to see. But with a decent guidebook like Lonely Planet or Rough Guide, you’ll have all the practical and useful background information you need to hit the ground running. You’ll be able to explore historical landmarks, lookout points, and other hotspots like a pro.
Plus, let’s not forget about the money you’ll save. Sure, a guidebook might cost a few bucks, but it’s a tiny fraction of what you’ll spend on your entire trip. By having a plan and doing your research ahead of time, you’ll avoid expensive tourist traps and get the most bang for your buck.
Lonely Planet Spain 2023
The Rough Guide to Spain 2022
Rail Map Europe
Europe by Eurail 2023: Touring Europe by Train
Using guidebooks and maps might seem like a waste of time and money, but trust us, it’s the key to unlocking the ultimate travel experience. By planning ahead, saving time and money, enhancing your experience, and staying safe, you’ll be able to have the adventure of a lifetime. And hey, if you’re still not convinced, that’s cool. We’ll just be over here, sipping on our margaritas and chilling in our sweet hotel room, while you’re lost and confused on the streets of some foreign city. Happy travels, amigos!