Type of Cuisine
Not sparkling clean but okay
Value for the Money
Good for Families
We had high hopes when Mr. Majo’s showed up as a recommendation on The Fork (El Tenedor in Spain), with a 9.2 / 10 rating. Sadly, it doesn’t score nearly that high in our books.
We decided to order a variety so we could get a good idea about what Mr. Majo’s was all about. We started with the Tri Flavor Mix – 3 Majo Teques, 3 shredded beef empanaditas, 3 crunchy chicken wings at 13.70€. For the main dishes, John chose La Guiri (smash burger) at 14,90€ and I chose El Wey (chili dog) at 11.70€. For drinks, John had a beer at 3.50€ and I had my usual cold bottle of water at 2.50€.
- the bathroom could have been cleaner
- each of the starter items looked commercially made – almost too perfect
- the food was nicely plated
- none of the starters looked greasy – a good sign because they looked baked instead of deep fried
- our server, who happened to be the owner, didn’t tell us which sauce was which (for the Tri Flavor Mix)
- The Bathroom – Our reservation was at 4pm on a Tuesday. There was no one at the restaurant. It didn’t look like there was a mad lunchtime crowd so really no excuse for the state the bathroom was in. That should have been a sign. We always go to the bathroom first to wash our hands and gives us an idea of their attention to detail and cleanliness.
- Some people like perfect and evenly shaped food. Personally, we like seeing the hand-made versions where edges are not even, sizes not all equal, etc. When we saw the Tri Flavor Mix, we immediately thought, “oh oh, this looks like commercial frozen food”.
- The food was laid out on the plates without too much fuss.
- The starters appeared to be baked vs. fried. The “crispy” chicken wings were not crispy nor were they cooked all the way through. The Majo taques reminded us of Pillsbury™ Crescent Rolls. The empanaditas filled with shredded beef was flavorless and the sauces didn’t help.
- The 2 sauces for the Tri Flavor Mix were supposed to be home-made dips. Not so sure about that…
Sadly, Mr. Majo’s fell below our price/quality expectations.